Sunday, March 30, 2008

gathered scarf

gathered scarf


Simple, basic techniques that result in a beautiful, impressive-looking payoff. That's how I would describe the Gathered Scarf pattern by Maryse.

Instead of starting and finishing with the frilled stockinette ends, I chose to start with the garter stitch rows, so the edges would be straight in case I opt to add fringe later. Cast on 20 sts with US sz 7s, followed the instructions for the garter rows, then increased to 40 sts with US sz 10.5s and followed the instructions for the stockinette rows.

The scarf measures 4 inches wide by 60 inches long and used 1.3 skeins (skein=100gr/220 yd) of Knit Picks Peruvian Highland (worsted weight). The scarf grew quickly, due to the stockinette sections being knit on the larger 10.5s and the needle-switching kept things from getting too monotonous. I'm not usually a fan of scarves that aren't reversible, but the reverse side isn't bad at all (it's the left "tail" in the picture).

Now the question is to dye or not to dye? I'm not sure yet. I don't have a particular color in mind at the moment.