Saturday, April 26, 2008

check? check! scarf pattern

checked scarves


Does the world need another basketweave scarf? Probably not, but every year I knit at least one more. And let's call these "checks". "Checks" sounds so much cooler, right?

The grey scarf in the above picture is the first item I ever knit that I didn't frog. It's the first thing I knit where I figured the pattern out for myself. This is a good unisex scarf and a good choice for charity knitting. I've been participating in the Red Scarf Project for three years now, and knit at least one of these scarves for them each year.

There must be a ton of patterns for basketweave scarves out there, but here's my basic pattern. I've kept it on a scrap of paper for almost six years. Time to commit it to pixels.

Check? Check! Scarf

Do not reproduce this pattern elsewhere. This pattern is for personal use only. In other words, don't try to make money off of it.

Materials
Your choice of size US 7-10.5 straight needles
Your choice of worsted weight yarn (~325 yds, for a 65-inch long scarf)
Yarn needle, for weaving in ends

Pattern
Cast on 32 stitches. Knit one row.

Row 1: k2; *k4, p4; repeat from * to last six sts; k6
Row 2: k2; *p4, k4; repeat from * to last six sts; p4, k2
Row 3: repeat row 1
Row 4: repeat row 2
Row 5: repeat row 1

Repeat rows 1 through 5 until scarf is desired length. Cast off knitwise, weave in ends, and you're done!

*****


You can adjust the width of the scarf with needle size. For example, using the above directions, US 10.5 needles gave me a ~7-inch wide scarf and with US 7s I got about a 5-inch wide scarf.

Width can also be adjusted by casting on any number of stitches that is a multiple of 4 and is divisible by an even number.

If you intend to fringe the scarf, I would recommend knitting two rows after casting on and knitting one row before casting off.

The two knit stitches at the beginning and end of each row creates a garter stitch border. If you prefer, you can eliminate these stitches to create a slightly curled/wavy edge.

A good first scarf for beginners. It looks a bit more polished than plain garter, while allowing the practice of knit and purl basics.

Pattern available for download as a pdf file.