Saturday, April 19, 2008

felicity hat

felicity hat


Wanett Clyde's Felicity Hat (pdf link) is a little bit hipster and a lot of casual.

This is a quick knit and just what I needed as a break from working on the lacy Arches & Columns scarf. I cast on in the evening, got through half the hat in a few hours before bed and finished the next evening. I'm guessing I used about 180 - 190 yards of worsted weight yarn. Out of all the slouchy hats I've knit so far, this one is my favorite. It's also the simplest.

Now, I know I tend to knit tight. *I* don't think I knit particularly tight, but gauge swatches say otherwise. The pattern calls for using US sz 5s and 7s and to cast on 70 sts. Knowing my tight gauge and my preference for looser-fitting hats, I decided to use sz 7s and 10s, and cast on 80 sts. Added an extra 4 rounds to the recommended 6 that go between the increase and decrease sections, for lots of slouch. And finally, I did another set of k2tog/knit rounds at the end.

The adjustments turned out to be good choices. The hat is comfortably loose and sufficiently slouchy. I think if I had used the recommended needle sizes, with my tight gauge, I would have fainted from lack of circulation if I was able to get the hat on my head at all.

Felicity is so comfy, cute and casually hip. Just right for cool spring days and foggy summer nights. I want to make one in a light grey. And maybe another in a color-blocked scheme. And maybe another in .... You get the idea. I'm definitely going to knit this one again.

More pictures at Flickr

11 comments:

apocaknits said...

that's a very sexy slouchy hat!

Denise said...

Pretty cool looking hat! Glad the size was just right for you.

Em-En said...

Oooooo, sexy! I'll take a sexy hat any day apocaknits. :)

Em-En said...

Thanks Denise. :)

Getting the correct gauge is always a "cross my fingers" thing for me.

Vera H. said...

I like the hat. I started with the recommend needles and CO, but it's turning out too small. I'm going to try again using your mods.

Em-En said...

Hi vera h.

I hope my modifications work out for you. :)

Vera H. said...

The mods worked really well. I ended up using a 9 instead of a 10. Love how the hat turned out, and I'm making another one.

Em-En said...

I'm happy the mods worked out for you! :)

Clara said...

Thanks for doing the math for me! I saw your hat in Ravelry and just felt like your version of Felicity was exactly what I want. I also tend to knit tight and my head is not so small. I'm now half-way through with your mods and I'm already liking it. Can't wait to finish!

Heididi said...

thank you so much for posting the changes you made...I just started it and yeah, it's WAY too small with the recommended yarn, cast on and needles. :)

Stefanie Wrembel said...

I've been making these hats all week! Love it! I added a few rounds wider and longer for a more "Rasta" style hat. It's awesome! I used as 8 and 10.5 needles. The 5 and 7 would definitely be too small. Malabrigo rios yarn looks awesome!