Monday, December 8, 2008

holding hands, feeding ducks scarf

holding hands, feeding ducks scarf


I've had beforesunrise's Holding Hands, Feeding Ducks Scarf in my Ravelry queue since February. She mentions that the name of the scarf is from a song by The Brunettes:

Holding hands, feeding ducks
When I met you, that's what I wanted to do


I liked the scarf when I saw it, but I like the sentiment behind the name just as much.

In an effort to procrastinate on other things, I brought out the purpley-blue yarn I dyed earlier this year and got started on the scarf. A cast on of 33 sts gave me around a 5-inch wide scarf and it took me about 6 days of leisurely, nights-only knitting to get ~65-inches. I used the recommended US sz 10.5 needles with worsted weight yarn.

The star stitch the scarf is based on grows rather quickly and the pattern is a simple 4 row repeat that is easily memorized. Don't let the directions for star stitch intimidate. Once you have the needles and yarn in your hands, it's really very simple and produces a really beautiful pattern.

star stitch


More pictures at Flickr

4 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

That is beautiful. I missed this one, but am going to go look for it now

Dana said...

Love it! The yarn you dyed is especially beautiful, as well! I am making this scarf in Malabrigo and it gives it a totally different look. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Em-En said...

Thanks Kathy!

It's a fairly quick knit and I think it's suitable for men and women. Good for a last minute gift.

Hope your holiday season is fabulous! :)

Em-En said...

Hi Dana :)

The yarn ombre'd (is that a word?) on it's own in the dye-bath, so I can't take credit. Sometimes I just get lucky. ;)

It's a great pattern though, isn't it?